Saturday, September 29, 2012

My Fear? Death by Drowning

It's completely dark, you can't breath. Every time you open your mouth precious air bubbles escape up towards the only possible freedom. A freedom that you cant reach. Struggling only makes your final end come faster. My fear? Drowning. I hate swimming. As a kid when my friends would be competing in swim contests and see who cold hold their breath under water the longest, I was begging my Mom and Dad to not make me go to dreaded swim lessons. Even now, when we have to swim in Gym, I try to find any excuse out of it. I have missed days of school out of fear and embarrassment of my fear of drowning.

I'm not exactly sure when my fear of drowning started or what caused it. For as long as I can remember, any thought of it sends chills down my spine. It might have been from tubing as a child. Living in Wisconsin, with water access every few miles, tubing is huge.  To me, the idea of being pulled by a speeding boat on a tube that barely floats, and having a small wimpy piece of rope be the only thing keeping you from flying from behind the boat, to your perilous doom, seems stupid. If I really wanted to risk my life for a thrill, there are better ways to do it. Why not play chicken with a train, skydive off a plane without a parachute, or even jump into the lion cage at the zoo while wearing Lady Gaga's meat dress?

To me, the fear of drowning out weighs any thrill I find from water related activities. I like having something solid under my feet and the ability to breath. But if you happen to know where Lady Gaga's meat dress is, then maybe we can talk about other ways to receive a non-water related life risking thrill.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah that's probably the worst way to die. Not only do you suffocate, but you are wet and cold when you go as well. Plus, if your ship sinks at sea and you're just floating there, you'd drown because of dehydration and or starvation. Really the number of ways you can drown is innumerable, and each one has a varying degree of how painful it is too. Eww... that's really a horrid way to go out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly had no idea that water freaked you out so much... I feel horrible for trying to make you go tubing :/ but I think Cory is completely right, what a horrible way to go! I had forgotten how many ways the water can hurt you. Even though I consider myself to be an ok swimmer, I don't quite fear water as much as I respect it. Swimming in the ocean was a truly humbling experience when your body is forced to swim against the mighty force of the waves and undertow. I would really hate to dround if it was my time to go, I would much rather face a hungry lion while wearing Lady Gaga's meat dress!

    ReplyDelete