The book that I chose to read was A People's History of the United States. I chose this 25 chapter book, written by Howard Zinn, because I have always had an interest in history. I was especially excited to read this book after looking at the back cover. The back cover explains the book and states that it is, "Known for its lively, clear prose as well as its scholarly research, A People's History of the Untied States is the only volume to tell America's story from the point of view of --and in the words of -- America's women, factory workers, African Americans, Native Americans, working poor, and immigrant laborers." I liked that the book was from the view of Americans. People who had really lived to see what our history books teach us and maybe even leave out today.
The book starts with the very first discovery of North America and Christopher Columbus. I had actually read the first few pages in an AP US History class. I did not know at that time that the story was from A People's History of the Untied States, but none the less, I was still as moved the first time read it as the second time I read it. The first chapter really changed my point of view, of how North America was discovered. I always celebrated Columbus Day with my family and was happy that he had discovered our country. Now I can only wonder why we celebrate this day. Why does America have a Holiday for a mass murder? The only thing I could compare it to, is having a Holiday for Hitler.
Most of the book was like this. It was very interesting and very eye opening. I did enjoy that the book included history from this time as well. The very last chapter is about the Gore v. Bush election and all of the controversy that fallowed. The last chapter also includes some facts about 9/11.
I did not agree with everything Zinn wrote, but a lot of it had some truth to it. Just going threw the Table of Contents you could get a feel to the tone of the book. Chapter 10. The other Civil War, Chapter 16. A Peoples War?, Chapter 18. The Impossible Victory: Vietnam, and so on.
I would highly recommend this book, A People's History of the Untied States . Not only because it is an interesting read, but because it has the possibility of changing your view and question about just how much they leave out of our history books.
Hey Sam! I considered choosing this book for my non-fiction pick! I am glad that you read it, because now I can read your response about it! I have always had an interest in history too. It is just so fascinating! It is very cool that the book is from the American perspective. The fact that it goes all the way from the discovery of North America to the Gore vs. Bush election only years ago is amazing! Our country seemingly has been through a lot in only 500 or so years! I bet it was nice to have already taken AP U.S. History and then to read this book!
ReplyDeleteI can imagine that this book was very interesting and eye-opening, as you said! Yes, our history hasn’t always been pleasant, but at least the book was truthful! Do you think in the future a book like this one will be written that consists of what is presently happening today (like Obama vs. Romney)? I liked the last sentence you wrote, because it is true, our history books may not always tell the whole story, but books like this one will make sure that Americans know the complete story! Great post! I hope to read this book in the future!
Like Chloe, this was one of my final choices for my AP Comp book! Sounds like I missed out on a lot of interesting information; however, I did enjoy my book “King of the World”. It was about the famous boxer Muhammad Ali and how he changed boxing as well as America and even the world! He was a figure in the civil rights movement and friends with several other influential people such as Malcom X. Back to your book though!
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of a history book from the opinions of people other than the white males that were controlling everything. This is the view of history that we often find in our traditional history classes and I think this can distort the truth of the events that have taken place. Your paragraph about the Bush v. Gore election and 9/11 events intrigued me. If you get the chance would you mind elaborating on some of the material this book discussed concerning these events? If not I guess I’ll just have to find time to read it myself!